Jesus Himself said that the entire Bible is really all about Him. Where did He say that? Read the 24th chapter of the Gospel of Luke. Yes, Jesus says that in one way or another the entire Bible is about Him.
The Old Testament is the prologue about Jesus. the four Gospels are biographies about Jesus, and the remainder of the New Testament is the epilogue. The Old Testament conceals the New Testament, and the New Testament clearly reveals (or unveils) the Old Testament. When reading the Bible for the first time, I usually recommend that people first read the four Gospels, then go clear back to the beginning in the Book of Genesis. Then re-read the four Gospels, continuing on with the remainder of the New Testament. I’ve done that for many years now–and I clearly see Jesus in every book of the Bible!
If a person searches wholeheartedly to find Jesus in every book of the Bible, that person will find Him. In the Old Testament portion of the Bible, He doesn’t stand out as clearly as He does in the New Testament portion of the Bible, but He can be found therein if a person searches for Him. Of course, the entire New Testament portion of the Bible is all about Jesus, and He is seen there very clearly and distinctly on almost every page. Thus—as I’ve taught many times—the entire Bible is about Jesus.
To help me personally find Jesus in every Book of the Bible, the following listing has been very helpful. As far as I can determine, this listing was first written by Oral Roberts, the famed healing evangelist of the 20th century. I have “tweaked” his listing a little, clarifying and adding to it here and there. It gives me sort of an outline to use as I study the Bible and look for Jesus in every book. I don’t necessarily recommend you memorize this listing (unless you enjoy memorization), but the listing can serve as a handy companion as you read and study your Bible.
Here’s that listing:
- Genesis: He is the Creator and Sustainer of everything, including all humanity, destined to govern and manage all Creation with Him.
- Exodus: He journeys with us through our Red Seas, and in the wildernesses of our lives, He is our Living Water and Bread from heaven, our Passover.
- Leviticus: He is God the Son, our High Priest, interceding on our behalf with God the Father.
- Numbers: He is our Pillar of Cloud by day and Fire by night, leading us ever onward through our earthly journey.
- Deuteronomy: He is our Prophet, greater than Moses, God’s Spokesperson for our lives.
- Joshua: He is the Great Captain of our Salvation, empowering us to defeat all our spiritual enemies.
- Judges: He is our Deliverer.
- Ruth: He is our Near-Kinsman who redeems us.
- 1 & 2 Samuel: He is our Chief Prophet and King.
- Kings and Chronicles: He is the good and benevolent King of our lives, knowing each of us by name.
- Ezra: He is the Faithful Scribe, interpreting the Father’s will for us.
- Nehemiah: He is the Rebuilder of the broken-down walls of our lives.
- Esther: He is our Close Relative, our Near-Kinsman faithfully working behind the scenes in our lives for our good.
- Job: He is the One who suffers with us in our trials and testings by fire.
- Psalms: He is the Good Shepherd, guiding, leading, refreshing, and comforting us, caring for our every need.
- Proverbs: and Ecclesiastes: He is Knowledge and Wisdom embodied and personified.
- Song of Solomon: He is our Heavenly Bridegroom, our true and faithful Lover.
- Isaiah: He is our Suffering Savior, the Prince of Peace upon whose shoulders rests the government of all creation.
- Jeremiah and Lamentations: He is the One who weeps for our welfare.
- Ezekiel: He is the One who rides the starry heavens and touches down on planet earth.
- Daniel: He is the Fourth Man in the fiery furnaces of our lives.
- Hosea: He is our Heavenly Husband, faithful forever to his sometimes rebellious wife, the church.
- Joel: He is the One who restores many-fold all that life destroys and steals from us.
- Amos: He is our Burden Bearer.
- Obadiah: He is Mighty to save us.
- Jonah: He descends with us to the depths of our “hells”.
- Micah: He is our Messenger proclaiming peace to us.
- Nahum: He is our mighty Avenger.
- Habakkuk: He is the One who refreshes and revives us.
- Zephaniah: He is our Savior.
- Haggai: He is the One who fully restores us when we succumb to sin.
- Zechariah: He is our Fountain poured forth for cleansing from sin.
- Malachi: He is our Sun of Righteousness, arisen with healing in his rays.
- Matthew: He is the Long-Promised Messiah.
- Mark: He is our Worker of miracles, signs, and wonders.
- Luke: He is the Son of Man, totally human.
- John: He is the Son of God, totally God.
- Acts: He is the One who pours out his Spirit on all people.
- Romans: He accepts us as though we have never sinned, births us into his family, and gives us his own righteousness and eternal LIFE.
- 1 and 2 Corinthians: He is the Resurrected One, freely bestowing his gifts to his Church.
- Galatians: He is the One who redeems us from the curse of the law.
- Ephesians: He is our Living Head of his Church.
- Philippians: He is the One who supplies all our needs and fills us with joy.
- Colossians: He is the One who ever lives fully present within us.
- 1 and 2 Thessalonians: He is our coming King of Glory.
- 1 and 2 Timothy: He is the One Mediator between us and God.
- Titus: He is our Faithful Pastor.
- Philemon: He is our Friend closer than a brother.
- Hebrews: He is the One who spilled his blood to establish a new covenant with us.
- James: He is our Great Physician, healer of spirit, mind, and body.
- 1 and 2 Peter: He is our Chief Shepherd who gathers all his sheep into one fold.
- 1, 2nd, and 3rd John: He is Love.
- Jude: He is our Mighty and Eternal King.
- Revelation: He is in the midst of his church, King of kings, Lord of lords, the beginning and ending of all–worthy of all our worship!
As mentioned earlier,I don’t recommend you attempt to memorize this listing (unless you enjoy memorizing long lists), but keep the listing handy as you read and study your Bible from day to day. The listing will help you locate Jesus in every book of the Bible. After all, that’s what the Bible is all about: Jesus!
Life Enrichment Services, Inc
Revised and Updated February 2022